Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jamie Whiting

LGKO Performance Discovery

Guest Jamie Whiting

Dear All,

I have noticed that there have been concerns raised around the performance of Kos, and I have also had issues myself. I have been getting better frame rates at Aerosoft's Heathrow than at Kos, and that airport is known to be one of the most difficult areas of the world of P3D for performance.

Being confused as to why this was the case, I went about trying to discover what was going on. As a bit of background I am a amateur scenery developer, and have released a P3D V4 version of Paphos so I look at things a bit differently scenery wise to most users.

I tried disabling various BGLs etc but nothing made a significant difference, but then I made a discovery which virtually eliminated my performance issues:

•  In the P3D lighting menu I unchecked the receive shadows box for "Simulation Objects"

-The Good-

I now have frame rates of between 30-60 fps even in the FSLabs Airbus, regardless of what direction I am facing or whether I am on or off the runway etc. Before I was struggling to get 25 frames at most.

-The Bad-

The only side effect is that my aircraft no longer casts a shadow on the ground at Kos. Kos is not the only addon airport that needs this checkbox enabled for shadows to be seen [UK2000 Gatwick does for example].

-The Theory-

Why is Kos so badly effected by this setting compared to other airports? I have a theory, and it is only a theory, that Kos has shadow flags set on too many material layers for the ground polygons. This would cause a request for un-needed shadow draw calls which would effect performance. I could be talking nonsense but it makes sense in terms of the performance gain I have got out of it.

Kos is a really beautiful scenery and really captures the spirit of the Island, so hopefully this may be useful to people, and perhaps the Developers can see if there is and fact to my theory...

Kind Regards

Jamie Whiting

Hello Jamie, 

First of all - your post is very interesting! 

I, the one who lead Gaya, love to hear (well, read mostly) our customers feedbacks and findings for few reasons:

1. One very experienced guy told me few years ago- the much support posts you have the more successful and popular the prodcut. 

2. Most of Gaya are simmers by oursevles and we know (like you) our lovely simulators are a big mystrey by itselfs. We are not shame to learn, adjust and adopt. We have one target right on our front- The user experience and satisfaction. 

Gaya is a rising star at the flight simulators scenery development and you can see it clearly from our prodcuts, support, updates and quality- for those prodcuts you know made by us, for the products you need to check at the user manual it's made by us, and for the future prodcut we will release (and there are A lot of those coming with an amazing, just amazing, quality!). 

ok, back to Kos- few users have performance issue even after the latest update. Kos is super optimize airprot (like Vienna BTW) however we will check your idea and will be very happy to find that's "the thing" and update it!

All the best,

Raz

Guest Irimi

Wow !!  I just did a quick test and I can confirm that disabling shadows on simobjects made all my stuttering disappear !!

I myself had spend quite some time removing bgls and other things in order to find the culprit. But I had not tried that until now.

Thanks a lot  for that Jamie !

best regards

Guest Irimi

this is weird !  There is somethig else going on there at LGKO. Disabling shadows as above gives me a smooth takeoff run in the beginning (which is impossible with shadows activated) But after some more testing today I found that stuttering comes back after a while even with shadows deactivated. I wanted to fly a short circuit pattern with the NGXu and found it to be impossible. Takeoff was smooth but then fps got worse and worse and heavy stuttering again... 😞

Guest Ronny

So I have now deactivated some BGL files to test what could be the reason that the frames sink and rise again after some time etc. I have deactivated the following files in the LGKO Scenery folder:
KOS_ANIM_BUS.BGL, KOS_Anim_Cobus_Final.bgl, KOS_ANIM_ESCALERA.BGL, KOS_ANIM_FIRETRUCK.BGL, KOS_ANIM_TAXI.BGL, KOS_ANIM_TUG.BGL, KOS_ANIM_TUG_1.BGL, KOS_ANIM_TUG_AZUL.BGL, KOS_ANIM_TUG_BLANCO.BGL, KOS_FENCE.bgl, KOS_FX_Mosquitos.bgl, KOS_FX_Mosquitos_Placement.bgl, KOS_FX_Mosquitos_PX. bgl, KOS_People.bgl, KOS_Peoples.bgl, KOS_Statics.BGL, LGKO_AIP_Statics.bgl.
I guess but it is due to some file that represents the ground traffic! I only disabled the other things because I don't really need them and I have frames that are a bit more stable. At Gaya Sim I would check the ground traffic of the vehicles or install an option in the configurator to switch off the ground traffic. Kind regards

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this